Serves 10-12 people
- 255G/ 8oz plain dark chocolate ,chopped into small pieces
- 150g / 5oz / 2/3 cup butter , softened
- 115g / 4oz / ½ cup caster sugar
- 8 eggs , separated
- 115g / 4oz / 1 cup plain flour
FOR THE ICING
- 225G / 8oz plain dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 200g / 7 oz / scant 1 cup caster sugar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 250ml 8fl oz / 1 cup vanilla essence plain chocolate leaves, to decorate
- Preheat over to 1800C / 3500F / gas 4. Grease a 23 cm / 9 in round spring from cake tin and the with non-stick baking paper. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water set the bowl aside
- Cream the butter with the sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy. The add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate, the sift the flour over the mixture, and fold it in evenly.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until stiff, the stir about a quarter of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lightly it. Fold in the remaining whites.
- Tip the chocolate mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth level. Bake for about 50-55 minutes, the turn out carefully on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Make the glaze. Heat the apricot jam with the lemon juice in a small saucepan until melted, the strain through a sieve into a bowl. Once the cake is make two, slice even-size layers.
- Brush the top and each layer with the apricot glaze, then sandwich then together. Place on a wire rack
- Make the icing. Mix the chocolate, sugar golden syrup, cream and vanilla essence in a heavy saucepan. Heat gently stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Simmer gently for 3-5 miniature, without stirring, until the mixture registers 950C /2000F on a sugar thermometer. Pour the icing the quickly over the cake, spreading to cover the top and side complete leaves, then serve with whipped cream, if whished.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170019