Serves 8 people
- 4egg wites
- 115g /aoz / ½ cup caster sugar
- 200g/ 7oz plain Chocolate
- 175g / 6oz / scant I cup medjool dated and finely chopped
- 5ml / 1 tsp vanilla essence
FOR THE FROSTING
- 200g / 7oz / scant 1 cup from age frais
- 200g / 7oz / scant 1 cup mascarpone few drops of vanilla essence icing sugar, to taste
- Preheat over to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Grease a round 20cm / 8 in spring from cake tin. Line the base of the tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Make the frosting. Mix together the fromage frais and mascarpone, add a few drops of vanilla essence and icing sugar to taste, the set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they from stiff peaks. Whisk in 30ml 2 tbsp of the caster sugar until the meringue is thick and glossy, then fold in the remainder.
- Chop 175g 6 oz of the chocolate, then carefully fold into the meringue with the dates, nuts and vanilla essence. Pour into the prepared tin, spread level and bake from about 45 minutes, until risen around the edges.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then invert on a wire rack. Peel off the lining paper and leave until completely cold.
- Swirl the frosting over the top of the torte. Melt the remaining chocolate. Use a small paper piping bag to drizzle the chocolate over the torte. Work quickly and keep up an even pressure on the piping bag. Chill the torte before serving , then cut into wedges. This torte is best eaten on the day it is made.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170017