Serves 8 people
- 175g/6oz/11/2 cups self-raising flour
- 10ml/2 tsp baking powder
- 75ml/ 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 115g/4oz/1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 15ml/ 1 tbsp black treacle
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup milk
FOR THE FILLING
- 45ml/ 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup double cream or whipping cream
- 115g/ 4oz strawberries, sliced
- 1 Quantity Chocolate Fondant chocolate hearts
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160oC/325oF/Gas 3 Grease a deep 20 cm/8 in heart-shaped cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper. Sift the self-raising flour baking powder and cocoa powder into a large mixing blow. Stir in the sugar, and then make a well in the Centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, treacle, oil and milk to the well. Mix with a spoon to incorporate the dry ingredients, then beat with a hand-held electric mixer until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the cake neatly into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a board or plate. Spread with the strawberry jam.
- Whip the cream in a bowl. Stir in the strawberries, and then spread over the jam. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Roll out the chocolate fondant and cover the cake. Decorate with chocolates hearts and dust with icing sugar.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170033
Image source: https://www.youtube.com