Serves 10 people
MAKES 1 LOAF
- 115g / 4oz / ½ cup caster sugar
- 115g / 4oz / 1 cup plain flour
- 5 ml / 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 ml 4 tbsp corn flour
- 115g / 4oz / ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp currants or raisins
- 25g / 1oz / ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped grated rind of ½ lemon
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp plain chocolate chips icing sugar ,for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Grease and line a 22 x12 cm / 8 ½ x 4 ½ in loaf tin. Sprinkle 25 ml / 1 ½ tbsp. of the caster sugar into the pan and tilt to distribute the sugar in an even layer over the bottom and side. Shake out any excess sugar.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and corn flour into a mixing bowl. Repeat this twice more. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter until soft. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, in three batches; do not overmix.
- Fold in the vanilla essence, currants or raisins, walnuts, lemon rind and chocolate chips until just blended.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-15 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Place on a serving plate and dust over an even layer of icing sugar before serving. Alternatively, top with glace icing and decorate with walnut halves.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170010