Serves 10-12 people
- 1 chocolate swiss Roll
- 225g/ 8oz/ 1 cup buttercream, tinted with pale green food colouring
- ½ quantity Chocolate Buttercream
- One-mix Chocolate Sponge cake, baked in a
- 450g/ 1 lb flutted round cake tin
- 225g/8oz marzipan
- Red and green food coloring
- Florist tape and florist’s wire, for the apples green-coloured desiccated coconut (See Puppies in Love, step-2)
- Tiny fresh flowers, to decorate (Optional)
- Stand the swiss roll upright on a cake board, trimming it, if necessary. Anchor it on the board with a dab of the buttercream. Spread with chocolate buttercream, swirling the icing. Using about three-quarters of the green buttercream, thickly cover the round sponge cake. Draw the icing into peaks and swirls. Position the cake on the top of the truck to make the top the tree.
- Color about 25g/1oz of the marzipan green. Color the remainder red, then roll it into cherry-size apples. Roll the green marzipan into tiny sausage shapes and shape the stalks and leaves. Use a cocktail stick to make tiny holes in the tops of the apples, and then insert a stalk and leaf into each.
- Twist the florist’s tape around the florist’s wire, and then cut it into 7.5cm/3 in length. Press the lengths of wire through most of the apples, bending the ends so the apples cannot fall off when hanging. Press the hanging apples into the tree reserving the remaining apples.
- Fill a piping bag with the remaining green buttercream. Pipe leaves all over the tree top. Scatter the green coconut around the base of the tree and pipe a few extra leaves. Add a few tiny fresh flowers for effect, if liked remove the wires from the cake before serving.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170039