Serves 8-10 people
- 1 chocolate swiss roll
- 115g/4oz yellow marzipan
- 60ml/ 4 tbsp Chocolate Buttercream
- 115g/4oz /11/3cups desiccated coconut
- Green, brown, pink and red food colourings
- 450g 1 lb bought sugarpaste
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 60ml/ 4 tbsp apricot jam, warmed and sieved
- Cut the Swiss roll in half. Each half will form the body of one of the puppies. To make the faces, cut the marzipan in half and roll each portion into a ball, then into a squat cone shape. Use the buttercream to stick the face on to the bodies.
- Place the desiccated coconut in a bowl. Add a few drops of the green food coloring and a few drops of water and stir until the coconut is flecked with green and white. Scatter it over a cake board, then position the two puppy shapes on the board.
- Cut off about 25g/1oz of the sugar paste and set aside, wrapped in clear film, Color half the remaining icing brown and half pink. Cut off about 50G/2oz from each color, wrap in clear film and set aside.
- Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar and roll out the larger portions of brown and pick paste into rectangles large enough tow warps each piece of swiss roll. Cut each portion of paste in half width ways and trim the edges. Cover all four sections with clear film and set aside.
- Roll out the reserved pieces of brown wand white paste, then use a small round cutter to stamp out several circles. Gather up the trimmings and set aside, wrapped in clear film. Stick the white circles on to one of the brown rectangles, and then the brown circles on to one of the pink rectangles, using a little water, use a rolling pin to press them in slightly.
- Use a sharp knife to slash all four paste rectangles along the two short edges. Brush each half of swiss roll with jam, over one body, and the pink paste without spots over the other. Place a little waster on the back of each then out the brown spotty paste over the brown dog and the pink spotty paste over the pink dog.
- Roll half of the reserved trimmings, pink and brown, in your hands to make the tails. Stick them in place with a little jam. Make a fringe from the brown icing for the brown puppy, and tie a few strands of pink icing together with ribbon to make a fringe for the pink puppy. Stick them in place with a dab of water.
- Use the remaining pieces of sugar paste to shape eyes, a nose and a mouth for each puppy. Stick them on to the faces.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170037