Serves 8 people
- 115g / 4oz / ½ cup unsalted
- 150g / 5oz / scant 1 cup light muscovado sugar 2 eggs, beaten
- 45ml / 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 150g / 5oz / ¼ cup self-raising flor
- 130g / 3 ½ oz marzipan
- 60ml / 4 tbsp plain chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 1800C / 3500F / Gas 4. Grease a 900g / 2lb loaf tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the creamed mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition to combine
- Sift the cocoa and flour over the mixture and fold in evenly.
- Chop the marzipan into small pieces with a sharp knife. Tip into a bowl and mix with the chocolate chips. Set aside about 60ml / 4 tbsp and fold the rest evenly into the cake mixture.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin. Level the top and scatter with the reserved marzipan and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the loaf is risen and firm. Cool for a few minutes in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe source: The Chocolate Bible
Recipe Code: 20170012